- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole-grain sandwich buns, for serving (optional)
- Lettuce leaves, for serving (optional)
- 1 large tomato, sliced, for serving (optional)
- Mustard and ketchup, for serving (optional)
- Place the cornmeal on a shallow plate and set aside. Have a nonstick baking sheet ready or line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the black-eyed peas in a medium bowl. Using a potato masher, smash the beans, leaving some of them intact for texture. Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, arrowroot, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix until well blended; the mixture will be very crumbly.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions. Press each portion into a patty about 4 inches across and dredge in the cornmeal to coat completely. Transfer the patties to the baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the patties from the refrigerator and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Turn each patty over and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more, until the burgers are lightly browned and hold together well when moved.
- If desired, serve on a whole-grain bun and top with lettuce, tomato, mustard, and ketchup.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.