- Ready In:
- 2 bowls
You’ve heard of breakfast for dinner, but what about breakfast for dessert? Or dessert for breakfast? These bowls are a creamy, satisfying combination of oats, millet, zucchini, and spices topped with a frosty blend of frozen banana and acai. If you’ve never tasted acai, you’re in for a treat. The bright purple fruit hails from South America, but you can find packets of antioxidant-packed acai pulp in the supermarket freezer aisle.
Zucchini may sound like a strange addition to hot cereal, but it softens along with the grains and melts into the mixture the same way it does in zucchini bread. When freezing bananas, peel them first, then place them in resealable plastic bags in the freezer. Even frozen, they’re easy to break into chunks to be used in this ice cream as well as smoothies.
Recipe from sweetsimplevegan.com
By Jasmine Briones,
- 2 frozen bananas, broken into chunks
- 2 single-serve packets frozen acai pulp
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup shredded zucchini
- ¼ cup millet
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla bean powder or ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Toppings such as fresh fruit, nut butter, and/or seeds
- To make the ice cream: In a food processor combine bananas and acai pulp. Cover and process until fluffy. Freeze until ready to use.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in the oats, zucchini, millet, and cinnamon. Return to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer just until oats are tender, and liquid is nearly absorbed. Stir in the maple syrup and vanilla bean powder to taste.
- Divide the oat mixture between dessert bowls. Serve with ice cream and toppings.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
7 Keys to Success on a Healthy Vegan Diet
Getting started on a plant-based diet or looking to refresh your eating habits? Download our practical guide to long-term success.