My family eats mashed potatoes at every holiday meal, and as a kid I never liked them, except as a bowl for gravy, which I adored. Imagine my surprise when I learned that you could add other things to mashed potatoes to make them good—such as roasted garlic, leeks, and, as in this dish, parsnips.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
By Del Sroufe,
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced small
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1½ cup green lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 medium red-skin potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- Place the onion, carrot, and celery in a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the rosemary, lentils, bay leaf, and enough water to cover the lentils by 3 inches. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Add the tomato paste to the saucepan and cook for another 15 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and rosemary sprig, and pour the lentils into a 9 × 13-inch baking dish.
- Meanwhile, add the potatoes and parsnips to a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and parsnips from the heat and drain all but ½ cup of the water. Mash the vegetables until smooth and creamy, then season with additional salt and spread the mixture evenly over the lentils.
- Bake the casserole for 25 minutes, or until bubbly. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.