- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 calzones
It’s hard to believe that these vegan calzones are free of animal products and oil. A cheesy sauce coats the tender veggie filling, and the air-fryer bakes them to crispy, flaky perfection for a hearty, healthy handheld meal.
You can use potato flakes or potato flour (ground-up flakes) in this recipe, though note the difference in volume. Both are widely available and will result in delightfully airy dough.
By Darshana Thacker,
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 2¼ cups potato flakes (or ½ cup + 3 tablespoons potato flour)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2½ cups finely chopped peeled white sweet potato
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1½ teaspoons dried thyme, crushed)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1½ teaspoons dried oregano, crushed)
- 2 cups chopped stemmed kale
- 1¼ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups oil-free marinara sauce, warmed
- For dough, soak cashews in 1½ cups hot water 20 minutes. Place cashews and soaking liquid in a blender and blend until smooth. In a bowl combine 1¾ cups of the potato flakes or the ½ cup potato flour, the whole wheat flour, and ¼ tsp. of the salt. Add cashew paste and stir until a dough forms.
- For filling, in a saucepan combine the next six ingredients (through oregano) and ¾ cup water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until sweet potato is halfway cooked, stirring occasionally. Stir in kale. Cover and cook about 5 minutes more or until sweet potato is tender, adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- In a blender combine the remaining ½ cup potato flakes or the 3 tablespoons potato flour, the milk, nutritional yeast, and vinegar. Blend until smooth. Stir milk mixture, crushed red pepper, and remaining ¼ tsp. salt into the vegetables. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F for 15 minutes. Cut parchment paper into four 8×11-inch pieces. Sprinkle a clean surface with additional whole wheat flour. Divide dough into four portions; form portions into balls. On floured surface roll one ball into an 8-inch circle. Spoon ½ cup of the filling on half of the circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold unfilled half over filling to form a half-moon. Crimp edge with a fork to seal; brush top with additional milk.
- Sprinkle flour over one piece of the parchment. Place calzone on parchment. Lift parchment by edges and place in air fryer. Air-fry about 8 minutes or until browned on top.
- Repeat with remaining dough balls and filling. Serve calzones with marinara sauce.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.