These delicious vegan pancakes are perfect served with fresh fruit or maple syrup, but if you want to make them into an extra-special Valentine’s Day breakfast or dessert, serve them with scoops of homemade Strawberry-Cherry Ice Cream and a liberal drizzle of Warm Chocolate Sauce. To make them soft and fluffy, cook the pancakes over very low heat. The vegan Strawberry-Cherry Ice Cream recipe has just three ingredients: frozen cherries and strawberries, plus date paste for a natural boost of sweetness. The ice cream requires four hours of freeze time, so you might want to make it a day ahead of time.
1. To make Strawberry-Cherry Ice Cream, combine 1 cup frozen strawberries and ½ cup date paste in the bowl of a food processor; pulse a few times until the berries are the texture of coarse sand. Add remaining fruit 1 cup at a time, pulsing a few times with each addition until all fruit is the texture of coarse sand. Then process the mixture to a smooth, creamy texture. Transfer to an air-tight container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
2. To make Chocolate Sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a small saucepan, and warm over medium-low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, then cover pan to keep warm.
3. To make pancakes, in a large bowl, mix together the flours, oats, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add the plant milk, maple syrup, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix lightly until combined, but don’t overmix. Let the batter stand for 5 minutes.
4. Heat a non-stick griddle or skillet over low heat. Spoon ⅓ cup of batter onto griddle, and cook 3 minutes or until pancake edges look dry and the bottoms are crisp and lightly browned. Flip pancakes with a spatula, and cook for 3 more minutes. Transfer pancakes to a heatproof platter and keep warm in a 200°F oven. Repeat with the remaining batter.
5. Ten minutes before serving, remove the Strawberry-Cherry Ice Cream from the freezer.
6. Serve pancakes topped with ice cream and warm chocolate sauce.