This simple salad of seasonal autumn fruits is easy to make and yet has an interesting sweet and sour flavor. You can add some cooked grains to make it a heartier no-cook dish.
1. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Roast the walnuts on a baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes, until they turn lightly brown. Remove and break into small bits.
2. To make the salad dressing, combine the orange juice, cranberries, and dates in a blender, and blend until smooth.
3. Pour the dressing into a shallow pan and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the liquid thickens a bit and reduces by about a third. Add the cayenne, and season with salt to taste. Set aside to cool.
4. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, radicchio, pomegranate seeds, and parsley. Toss with some of the oil-free dressing (taste first; you may not want to use all of it).
5. Sprinkle with walnuts right before serving.
Photo by Keepin’ it Kind