These walnutty vegan cookies will disappear as fast as you can make them—so you might want to make a double batch of the recipe. To bring more color to your cookie platter, use an array of different colored jams—such as strawberry, mixed berry, mango, and apricot— for the dot fillings. Store the cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week. If the cookies lose their crunch, reheat them in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, sorghum flour, sugar, walnuts, coconut flakes, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
3. Add the plant milk, and use your hands or a spatula to thoroughly mix the dough.
4. Scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball. Place on the prepared baking sheet(s) and continue with the remaining dough, positioning balls about 1½ inches apart. Press the balls into small 1-inch disks, then press the center of each cookie with your thumb or the back of a small spoon to create a well to accommodate ½ teaspoon of jam.
5. Dollop ½ teaspoon of jam in the center of each cookie.
6. Bake cookies until lightly golden brown, about 30 minutes.
7. Once cookies are done, transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack for a few minutes to cool.
Photo by LA Food Photography