This salad has been my favorite for a long time. It is filling yet refreshing, especially in the summer. There is no need for a separate dressing, and it can be made hours before serving, making it an ideal choice for a potluck or a picnic. I served this salad at a pre-show picnic at the Hollywood Bowl, and it was a big hit with my friends.
1. Rinse the rice, and place it in a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Transfer the rice to a large bowl, and let it cool for a few minutes until no longer steaming.
4. Add the zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, pepper, and salt to taste. Mix well. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired.
5. Cover and chill, or let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, to allow the flavors to meld.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve cold or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Photo by Keepin’ it Kind
Find this brown rice salad recipe and more BBQ ideas in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.