- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 10 cups
This colorful mix of fruits and vegetables creates a fresh and flavorful salad that pairs perfectly with a simple homemade pear vinaigrette. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of chia seeds for an extra bit of crunch. Look for hulled barley (aka barley groats), which is less processed than pearled barley, with only the inedible outer hull removed.
By Shelli McConnell,
- ½ cup dry hulled barley
- 3 ripe Bartlett pears
- 3 cups chopped romaine
- 1 small cucumber, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup slivered red onion
- ½ cup dried tart red cherries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Sea salt, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped roasted pistachios
- In a medium saucepan combine barley and 1½ cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 45 to 55 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Place barley in a fine-mesh sieve; run under cold water. Drain well.
- For salad, halve, core, and chop two of the pears. In a large bowl combine chopped pears and the next five ingredients (through cherries). Stir in cooked, cooled barley.
- For dressing, peel, halve, and core the remaining pear. Place in a blender with vinegar, mustard, and maple syrup. Season with salt. Cover and blend until smooth. Add water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to reach drizzling consistency. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pistachios.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.