- ⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked for 3-4 hours in advance and then drained
- 1−2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole chia seeds
- scant ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon kelp granules (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon capers
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓−½ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk (plus extra to thin)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Combine the cashews, 1 tablespoon of the nutritional yeast (if using), the chia, salt, kelp granules, capers, garlic, pepper, milk, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a blender, and purée until very smooth. Add more nutritional yeast for a cheesier flavor if you like, and add extra salt, pepper and/or garlic if desired.
- Serve tossed into romaine lettuce, along with your choice of croutons, if desired.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days. This oil-free dressing will thicken after refrigeration. You can thin it by stirring in 2 to 3 teaspoons of plant milk or water, if desired.
Kelp: If you have trouble finding kelp granules, the dressing is still delicious without them!
Milk: I prefer unsweetened, unflavored almond milk or soy milk in this recipe, but you can choose another plant milk if you prefer.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.