- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 1 Cup
- print/save recipe
You can make this creamy, delicious (and very authentic-tasting) Caesar dressing as is, or add nutritional yeast for a cheesy twist. You can also reduce the milk and use it as a dip or sandwich spread.
- ⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked for 3-4 hours in advance and then drained
- 1−2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole chia seeds
- scant ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon kelp granules (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon capers
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓−½ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk (plus extra to thin)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Combine the cashews, 1 tablespoon of the nutritional yeast (if using), the chia, salt, kelp granules, capers, garlic, pepper, milk, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a blender, and purée until very smooth. Add more nutritional yeast for a cheesier flavor if you like, and add extra salt, pepper and/or garlic if desired.
- Serve tossed into romaine lettuce, along with your choice of croutons, if desired.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days. This oil-free dressing will thicken after refrigeration. You can thin it by stirring in 2 to 3 teaspoons of plant milk or water, if desired.
Kelp: If you have trouble finding kelp granules, the dressing is still delicious without them!
Milk: I prefer unsweetened, unflavored almond milk or soy milk in this recipe, but you can choose another plant milk if you prefer.