- Ready In:
- Makes 1 cup
A friend taught me his family recipe for salsa roja de molcajete, or tomato salsa made in a traditional stone mortar and pestle. I’ve adapted it so it can be made without the mortar and pestle. Roasting the chile and tomatoes in a skillet brings out the authentic earthy flavors, even without the traditional tool.
By Darshana Thacker,
Jan 24, 2015
- 1 (2-inch) piece dried red chile, any hot variety
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 (½-inch-thick) onion wedges
- 1 clove garlic
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the dried chile in a skillet and cook over high heat, turning once, for 1 to 2 minutes, until it puffs up or gets some dark spots. Be careful not to burn the chile, or it will be bitter. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Place the whole tomatoes in the skillet and roast over medium heat. Turn them periodically as they get charred, and roast until almost the entire surface is charred, about 10 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the skillet and set aside to cool.
- Place 2 of the tomatoes in a blender, along with the roasted chile, onions, garlic, and salt to taste. Blend into a smooth sauce. Add the remaining tomatoes and pulse so that the salsa is well blended but still chunky. Stir in the cilantro. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill until ready to serve. Enjoy with oil-free tortilla chips. (For longer storage, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.)
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.