- Ready In:
- Makes 2 main courses or 4 appetizer salads
We love the flavor, color, and texture that strawberries bring to this salad, while grains and pistachios offer an irresistible blend of chewy and crunchy. Want to eat this strawberry pistachio salad for lunch all week? Keep the perishable ingredients (everything listed after the beans) separate, and build a fresh salad each day.
Recipe from vegan ultramarathoner Matt Frazier and health coach Stepfanie Romine’s new cookbook The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts and the Rest of Your Life
The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts and the Rest of Your Life © Matt Frazier and Stepfanie Romine, 2017. Reprinted and adapted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 1 lime)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ small red onion, chopped or sliced
- 2 cups cooked grains (such as barley), cooled
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1½ cups cooked cannellini beans, or 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 to 6 ounces mixed baby greens (about 6 cups)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup roasted, shelled pistachios, chopped
- ½ avocado, diced
- High-quality balsamic vinegar
- Combine the orange juice, lime juice, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Toss the onions in the dressing; add the grains, strawberries, and beans and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. (At this point, the salad can be refrigerated until ready to serve, up to 1 day.)
- Add the greens and cilantro and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the pistachios, top with the avocado, and drizzle with the vinegar. Serve.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.