- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 10 cups
Shaved asparagus sets this salad apart from all the other bright, bold Mediterranean medleys out there. The raw ribbons (made with a vegetable peeler) have a crunchy texture and a mild, grassy flavor. Be sure to choose the fattest asparagus you can find, since thinner spears will be harder to peel into ribbons. Arugula provides a peppery salad base here, but you could substitute watercress or a mesclun mix. Olive haters need not abstain—simply swap in chopped almonds or cashews, if desired. Toss the salad with the dressing just before serving, as the sauce can cause the asparagus to discolor when left too long.
By Carla Christian,
- 2 pounds thick fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3–4 oranges
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added navy or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Cut the asparagus lengthwise into paper-thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Reserve the remaining thicker portions for another use.
- Peel and section 2 oranges. Combine the asparagus ribbons, orange sections, arugula, beans, and olives in an extra-large bowl.
- Grate 1 teaspoon of zest and squeeze ½ cup of juice from the remaining oranges. Whisk the orange zest and juice, vinegar, tahini, mustard, and pepper in a small bowl. Season with salt and drizzle over arugula mixture; toss to coat.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.