- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 5 cups
- print/save recipe
Each bite of this colorful salad is filled with the flavors of favorite fall ingredients such as apples, butternut squash, and pumpkin seeds. For optimum freshness and texture, wait to add the dressing until just before serving.
Note that this recipe calls for cooked quinoa, so have that ready to go: For 1½ cups cooked quinoa, rinse and drain ½ cup quinoa; cook according to package directions; and drain if needed. Check out our Grains Cooking Guide for more tips on prepping grains like a pro.
- 2 cups ¾-inch pieces peeled butternut squash
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups stemmed and chopped kale
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped apple
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 15×10-inch baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Arrange squash in the prepared baking pan. Roast 20 to 25 minutes or until squash is tender, brushing lightly with water if squash starts to look dry. Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl toss together pumpkin seeds and ½ teaspoon water; sprinkle with cinnamon. Place pumpkin seeds in a small, shallow baking pan. Roast 5 minutes or until lightly toasted; cool.
- For dressing, remove 1 teaspoon zest and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from lemon. In a small bowl whisk together lemon zest and juice, maple syrup, and mustard.
- In a large bowl combine kale, quinoa, apple, green onions, and roasted squash. Add dressing; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Top with pumpkin seeds.