- Prep-time: / Ready In: / Cook Time:
- Serves 16-20
My brother-in-law, Brian, makes this stuffing, which will make your palate swoon and your tummy sing. Here’s a fun twist to make your guests swoon as well: Cook, then serve this inside a pumpkin. Seriously! Find a cooking pumpkin that will fit inside your oven, clean out the insides, stuff the open space with stuffing, place the lid back on, and cook as described below.
From My Beef With Meat
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
By Rip Esselstyn,
- 15 pieces of bread: 5 rye, 5 pumpernickel, and 5 whole wheat, cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups slivered carrots
- Two 16-ounce packages mushrooms, sliced
- 4 to 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1 red apple, diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries (about 5 ounces)
- 7 ounces almonds, slivered
- 2 to 3 tablespoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ to 1 cup tawny port
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the cubed bread on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes to dry it out, checking frequently to make sure it is not browning too much. Set aside.
- In a pan over high heat, sauté the onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms in ½ cup of the vegetable broth until softened. In a large bowl, combine the toasted bread cubes, cooked vegetables, apples, cranberries, almonds, Sage, thyme, oregano, salt, if using, garlic powder, and pepper. Add broth and port to bowl as needed. Blend and toss until uniformly mixed and soggy.
- Transfer the moist stuffing to lasagna pan (or a carved-out pumpkin). Cover with aluminum foil (or the pumpkin lid). Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.