- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 10 cups
- print/save recipe
Slivered fresh fennel bulb is a crunchy complement to juicy stone fruits and a zesty lemon dressing. If you like, swap in peaches for the nectarines and red plums for the cherries. This fruit-forward salad is hearty enough to be served on its own or paired as a side dish with veggie burgers for the perfect summer BBQ menu.
Tip: To make this recipe gluten-free, opt for a gluten-free whole grain pasta, such as those made with brown rice, chickpeas, or lentils.
- 3 cups dry whole grain rotini or bow-tie pasta (9 oz.)
- ½ cup no-salt-added canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 nectarines, halved, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh sweet cherries (12 oz.), pitted and halved
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved, cored, and cut into thin slivers (1½ cups)
- 2 cups fresh baby arugula
- ¼ cup thinly sliced shallots
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Run under cold water to cool; drain well.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a blender or small food processor combine the next five ingredients (through mustard). Cover and blend until smooth, adding water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until drizzling consistency. Stir in poppy seeds.
- In a bowl combine pasta, fruits, fennel, arugula, and shallots; toss to combine. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Season with salt.