- Ready In:
- 8 cups
Got a few minutes and want something delicious and totally nourishing for dinner? Try this quick vegan chickpea bolognese sauce over your favorite pasta! Chopping the chickpeas gives the sauce a finer texture that’s easier to eat with noodles. Feel free to leave this step out, however, if you’d rather eat them whole. This bolognese is completely plant-based and loaded with veggie goodness to make you feel awesome. Imagine that after eating a big bowl of pasta!
Recipe from Carolyn’s Pantry
By Carolyn Yachanin,
- 1½ cups diced red onion
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and chopped (1½ cups)
- 1 medium carrot, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 cup mushrooms (any kind you like), cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (1½ cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce (1½ cups)
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Sea salt
- 3 cups cooked brown rice penne or fusilli pasta (or any other whole-grain pasta)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add the red onions, garlic, chickpeas, carrots, and a dash of salt. Sauté the vegetables for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are slightly translucent. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed, to keep vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, and parsley. Sauté for 2 more minutes, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour as much of the sauce as you like over the pasta and eat up—it's all fantastic for you and tastes even better.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.