This kidney bean and lentil dal is a staple in every home in north India and is also found on the menu in every Indian restaurant serving north Indian food. It gets its strong aromatic flavor from ginger, garlic, coriander, turmeric, and other warming spices. Serve with any cooked grain or whole-grain bread or tortillas.
1. Combine the onions, garlic, ginger, and ¼ cup water in a nonstick saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, coriander, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, and cumin; mix well. Add ½ cup water and cook until the tomatoes are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add the plant milk, lentils, and beans and continue to cook until the dal thickens, 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Add the lime juice; mix well, then season with salt to taste. Cook until the flavors merge, 2 minutes.
5. Garnish with cilantro.
6. Serve hot with brown rice or bread.
Photo by LA Food Photography.
Find this recipe and more (plus create a quick shopping list) in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.