- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 16 brownies
Black beans are a secret weapon of whole-food, plant-based bakers. Blended, they help create a fudgy base for chocolatey treats, such as Outrageously Healthy Brownies and these delicious vegan Mexican chocolate brownies. Cayenne pepper gives these rich brownies a little kick: Add more if you like the heat.
Craving more wholesome vegan desserts? Check out these 5 Scrumptious Plant-Based Desserts.
By Carla Christian,
- ¾ cup no-salt-added canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup pure cane sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon powdered pure cane sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick foil, extending foil over edges
- In a food processor combine beans, applesauce, and chopped chocolate. Cover and process until smooth. Add granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla; cover and process until combined.
- In a small bowl stir together the next six ingredients (through cayenne pepper). Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture. Cover and process just until combined.
- Spread batter in the prepared baking pan. Bake 20 minutes or just until center is firm and edges are slightly puffed. Cool in pan on a wire rack. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Using foil, lift brownies out of pan. Cut into squares.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.