- Prep-time: / Cook Time:
- Makes 9 burgers
This veggie burger is a combination of what I loved from other veggie burgers that I have made in the past. Adapt it any way you like. You can use any type of bean or raw veggies you have on hand. Maybe you have scallions instead of an onion? Use that instead! You cannot mess this up.
Find this recipe and more bbq ideas in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
By Wendy Solganik,
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup barley flour
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1-2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup finely diced tomato
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Prepare 3 cookie sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place rice, beans, cornmeal, barley flour, onion, garlic, cumin, hot sauce (optional), salt and pepper into a large mixing bowl. With clean hands, squish and knead ingredients until everything is well incorporated.
- Add corn, tomato and broccoli. Gently squish together with rice and bean mixture.
- Scoop about a cup of the mixture into your hands and form a ball. Place ball onto the prepared baking sheet and press down onto the top of the ball until the ingredients have formed a burger shape, about ½” thick.
- Repeat until all ingredients are made into burgers. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven; flip all of the burgers and place sheets back into the oven (I recommend rotating the placement of the sheets in the oven for more even baking). Bake for an additional 20 minutes. The exterior of the burgers should be slightly brown and crispy.
- Serve on a whole-wheat bun with all of your favorite burger fixin's. Or serve over a salad. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. To warm burgers, toast in a toaster oven for a nice crispy outside.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
7 Keys to Success on a Healthy Vegan Diet
Getting started on a plant-based diet or looking to refresh your eating habits? Download our practical guide to long-term success.