Skillet-browned chickpea patties are smothered in sautéed onions and bell peppers, topped with peppery arugula, and served open-faced on toasted hamburger bun halves that have been slathered in roasted red pepper hummus for a Mediterranean-inspired vegan burger. For make-ahead ease, the onions and bell peppers can be sautéed up to three days beforehand, then reheated, and the patties can be prepared and shaped the day before, then sautéed just before serving. You can also try making the burgers with other types of beans and breadcrumbs, depending on your preference and what you have on hand. Serve with Israeli Couscous and Kale Salad.
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 to 2 lemons)
- ½ cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup snipped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1½ cups fresh arugula
- 3 vegan whole-wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 6 tablespoons roasted red pepper hummus
- Lemon wedges
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving 3 to 4 tablespoons of the liquid. In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, breadcrumbs, parsley, oregano, garlic, and salt. Process for 2 minutes or until smooth, adding the reserved chickpea liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture begins to come together. Form into six ¾-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, and ¼ cup water. Cook, covered, for 8 minutes or just until tender, turning once. Cook, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes more or until liquid is evaporated and vegetables are starting to brown. Remove from skillet. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel. Add patties, and cook over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and heated through, turning once.
- Cut the bell pepper quarters into thin strips. Toss the arugula with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Spread cut sides of the buns with hummus. Serve patties open-faced on the bun halves, topped with the bell pepper, onion, and arugula. Serve with lemon wedges.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
7 Keys to Success on a Healthy Vegan Diet
Getting started on a plant-based diet or looking to refresh your eating habits? Download our practical guide to long-term success.