- Prep-time: / Cook Time:
- Makes 8 burgers
- 2-3 large garlic cloves
- Packed ½ cup fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley (just chop off the bottom part of the stems)
- Packed ½ cup fresh cilantro (no need to remove the tender stems)
- ½ cup scallions, rough chopped
- 2 14½ ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained-reserving at least 2 tablespoons of the liquid
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt (or not)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Tahini Sauce
- Place garlic, parsley, cilantro and scallions in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture is finely chopped.
- Add all other ingredients and process, scraping down sides as necessary, until all ingredients are blended, but do not over process into a paste. You want the mixture to have a bit of its texture left, but be able to stick together easily. If mixture is too dry, add the reserved liquid from the chickpeas, one tablespoon at a time, pulsing to incorporate the liquid.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Form into patties and reserve on a plate. Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes until pan is hot. Place patties in pan and let cook for 5 minutes. Flip patties and let them cook for another five minutes. Remove from pan. Patties should be nicely browned and crisp on each side but not burned.
- Serve topped with a little Tahini Sauce (see recipe below), atop a green salad, alongside a chopped salad (like Taboulleh), or fixed up as a burger on a bun with lettuce, tomato, pickle slices and Tahini Sauce.
Chef's Note: Veggie burgers can be served immediately or refrigerated for up to a week. Simply reheat them in a pan, a toaster or a microwave before serving.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
7 Keys to Success on a Healthy Vegan Diet
Getting started on a plant-based diet or looking to refresh your eating habits? Download our practical guide to long-term success.