- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 burgers
I have made many attempts at a baked falafel and even falafel burgers, but had not hit on the “one” that packed a full-of-flavor punch like a fried falafel ball does—until this.
Find this falafel burgers recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
By Wendy Solganik,
Sep 12, 2013
- 2–3 large cloves garlic
- ½ cup packed fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley (just chop off the bottom part of the stems)
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro (no need to remove the tender stems)
- ½ cup roughly chopped scallions
- 2 14½-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained (reserving at least 2 tablespoons of the liquid)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼–½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons water
- Dash of salt (optional)
- Place garlic, parsley, cilantro, and scallions in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture is finely chopped.
- Add all other ingredients and process, scraping down sides as necessary, until all ingredients are blended, but do not over process into a paste. You want the mixture to have a bit of texture left, but be able to stick together easily. If mixture is too dry, add the reserved liquid from the chickpeas, one tablespoon at a time, pulsing to incorporate the liquid.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Form into patties and reserve on a plate. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes until pan is hot. Place patties in pan and cook for 5 minutes. Flip patties and cook 5 minutes on the other side. Remove from pan. Patties should be nicely browned and crisp on each side but not burned.
- For Tahini Sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth.
- Serve burgers simply topped with a little Tahini Sauce, atop a green salad, or fixed up as a burger on a bun with lettuce, tomato, pickle slices and Tahini Sauce.
Chef's Note: Veggie burgers can be served immediately or refrigerated for up to a week. Simply reheat them in a pan, a toaster or a microwave before serving.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.