- Ready In:
- Makes 6 to 8 patties
Mixed with a lot of nutritious grains, veggies, and spices, this veggie patty recipe is great for veggie burgers. It’s also fantastic as a vegan veggie crumble (in place of ground meat) for burritos, wraps, and food pies! I used it for gyoza dumplings the other day, adding some garlic and Japanese “nira” (garlic chives), and it was so good!
Adapted from Yukitchen
By Yuki Matsumura,
- ¼ cup dry wild rice
- ⅓ cup dry brown rice
- ⅓ cup dry quinoa
- 3 cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch salt
- In a large saucepan, combine the wild rice, brown rice, quinoa, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, thoroughly mash the beans. Add the chopped onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Mix well.
- When grains are done, add them to the mashed beans mixture along with the oats, soy sauce, cumin, black pepper, cayenne, coriander, and salt. Mash again.
- Use your hands to mix the veggie "meat" and shape it into 6 to 8 patties. If the mixture is too wet and doesn’t stick together, add more oats little by little until the mixture sticks together.
- Grill the patties over medium-high heat until they turns a little bit brown and crunchy outside. Note: You can wrap any unused portion and store it in the fridge for 5 to 6 days.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.