- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 2 servings
- print/save recipe
Who says oatmeal has to be sweet? You can adapt this savory recipe to suit your palate and change it up when you want something new.
Recipe from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts and the Rest of Your Life, by Matt Frazier and Stepfanie Romine. Reprinted and adapted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 carrot or small beet, peeled and grated
- 1 cup stemmed and chopped kale or chopped spinach
- ¼ cup salsa or marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted shelled pumpkin seeds
- Smoked paprika and/or crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the oats and grated carrot in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 ½ cups water. (Use more or less to achieve desired consistency; 1½ cups water yields a fairly thick oatmeal.)
- Heat until simmering, then cook, stirring often, until everything is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the kale, salsa, and nutritional yeast.
- Transfer to individual serving bowls and top each with avocado and pumpkin seeds. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and pepper flakes, if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
- Variation: Swap in different flavors of salsas or pasta sauces to turn this into a whole new dish.