- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 2 toasts
- print/save recipe
These veggie-packed toasts take just 20 minutes to prepare and make for a refreshing meal any time of day. A lemony spring pea mash makes a tasty base for pickled cauliflower and thinly sliced cucumbers and radishes. When fresh spring peas are out of season or otherwise hard to find, you can substitute frozen peas in this recipe; just steam them with the edamame. For more fast-fixing mealtime inspiration, check out our favorite 39 Quick and Healthy 30-Minute Meals.
- ½ cup small purple or white cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup slivered red onion
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups shelled fresh spring peas
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen shelled edamame, thawed if frozen
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or mint
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 hearty whole grain bread slices, toasted
- Very thin halved slices cucumber
- Very thin halved slices watermelon radishes or regular radishes
- Aleppo pepper or freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make pickled cauliflower, in a small saucepan combine cauliflower, red onion, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place peas in a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Add water to saucepan to just below basket. Bring to boiling. Steam, covered, 12 minutes or until tender. Transfer peas to a colander and rinse under cold water; transfer to a bowl. Add edamame to steamer basket. Steam, covered, 2 minutes. Transfer edamame to colander and rinse under cold water; drain.
- Add the next five ingredients (through hot pepper sauce) to the bowl with the peas. Mash mixture to combine. Season with salt.
- Spread pea mash on toasted bread slices. Top with edamame, cucumber, radishes, and pickled cauliflower mixture. Sprinkle with Aleppo pepper.