- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes one 12-inch pizza
Mashed sweet potato takes the place of tomato sauce in this rustic plant-based pizza topped with roasted Brussels sprouts. While the pizza bakes, you’ll be making a quick and easy balsamic glaze to drizzle over the top. If you’d like to elevate the natural sweetness of the potato, use sweet onion instead of red.
By Carla Christian,
- 12 oz. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 red onion, sliced (¾ cup)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
- 2 tablespoons coarse cornmeal
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (1½ cups)
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 recipe Quick Homemade Oil-Free Pizza Dough or 1 lb. refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange Brussels sprouts and onion on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon of the milk. Roast 10 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender, brushing lightly with milk if vegetables start to look dry. Remove vegetables from baking sheet and sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine sweet potato and enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to saucepan. Mash sweet potato until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the milk and the rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pizza dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and brush with 1 teaspoon of the milk. Bake 8 minutes. Spread with mashed sweet potato; top with roasted Brussels sprouts and onion. Bake 8 to 10 minutes more or until crust is golden and crisp.
- For balsamic glaze, in a small saucepan bring vinegar to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened to a syrup consistency. Drizzle pizza with balsamic glaze and, if desired, sprinkle with additional rosemary.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.