My Australian sister-in-law Annette made this soup for us while her family was here vacationing in the United States. Here’s my interpretation of her soup, which is easily the most popular soup recipe on my website.
Recipe from The Abundance Diet
- Heat ¼ cup of the vegetable broth in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and garlic and sauté, adding additional broth as necessary to keep the vegetables from burning, until the onions are softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, smoked paprika, cinnamon, and ground ginger. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes to allow the flavors to bloom. Add the remaining vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, and lentils and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are fully cooked.
- Add the parsley, cilantro, and lemon juice and stir to combine. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- For texture variation, pulse the soup a few times with an immersion blender.
- For extra brightness, squeeze an additional slice of lemon over each bowl.
Photo by Ann Oliverio. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press LLC.
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped onions, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ heaped teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups split dry red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- ⅓ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
Become a great plant-based cook. The FOK Online Cooking Course teaches you how to make delicious meals anytime. Features top chef instructors, delicious recipes, and more!