- ½ of a medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch cubes (4½ cups)
- 2 red onions, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup finely chopped shallots
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups dry short grain brown rice or brown Arborio rice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Place squash and onions on baking sheets. Roast 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is tender, brushing with water if vegetables start to look dry.
- Meanwhile, make Balsamic Vinegar Syrup: Pour balsamic vinegar into a small skillet. Cook over medium 8 to 10 minutes or until vinegar is reduced to about 3 Tbsp. and is syrupy. (It will thicken slightly as it cools.) Set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat broth and 1 qt. water until simmering. In a 5-qt. Dutch oven cook shallots and garlic over medium 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add rice; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until rice is toasted in places, stirring occasionally. Add simmering liquid, ¾ cup at a time, to the rice mixture, cooking and stirring frequently until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding liquid in this way until all the simmering liquid has been absorbed. (This will take about 40 minutes total.) Stir in roasted vegetables, the parsley, and sage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle risotto with Balsamic Vinegar Syrup. Top with additional chopped fresh parsley and sage.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.