- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 1 cup
- Print/save recipe
This frosting goes great on Double Chocolate Cupcakes, but once you get a taste of how delicious it is, you’ll find lots of places to use it.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1 cup boiling water
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups dried, pitted dates, tough ends removed
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- Pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Put the boiling water and cocoa powder in a blender. Blend on high speed for about 30 seconds, or until the mixture is relatively smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender. Be careful not to let steam build up.
- Add the dates, brown rice syrup, and salt to the blender. Blend until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the blender with a spatula to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated. Add the vanilla and blend until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container. Let chill completely, for at least 3 hours, until it becomes firm and spreadable.
Note: Spread the frosting onto cooled cupcakes with the back of a spoon or an offset spatula. You can also pipe the frosting with a pastry bag fitted with a wide metal tip.