For a new twist on stuffed baked apples, cut the fruit hasselback-style and fill the crevices with a ginger-laced fruit-and-nut mixture. You can also use this recipe to make Cranberry-Stuffed Hasselback Pears: Prepare as directed, except substitute two 8-oz. Bartlett pears for the apples. Halve, core, and slice as directed. Decrease roasting time to 15 minutes.
Find more Amazing Apple Recipes here.
By Shelli McConnell,
- 2 large red cooking apples, such as Braeburn, Honeycrisp, or Gala
- ¼ cup chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Halve and core apples. Place cut sides down on cutting board. Arrange wooden skewers or chopsticks lengthwise on opposite sides of each apple half. Cut apple halves crosswise into ¼-inch slices, stopping when knife reaches skewers (to prevent slicing all the way through).
- Place apples in a 2-qt. rectangular baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes.
- In a bowl stir together the remaining ingredients. Remove apples from oven; remove foil. Spoon cranberry mixture between apple slices and over the tops of apples. Bake, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes more or until heated through.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.