- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 sopes
Here’s a healthy convenience-food twist on a Mexican favorite. Sliced tube-style polenta fills in for thick, tortilla-like base that’s traditionally made with masa harina. The hearty vegan toppings get their roasty flavor from fire-roasted tomatoes, but for even more, use frozen roasted corn. Opt for the lowest-sodium tube-style polenta you can find, and go easy on salt in the rest of the dish. You can find polenta in the pasta aisle or near the refrigerated fresh pastas.
Note: Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
By Nancy Macklin,
- 1 16- to 18-oz. package tube-style polenta
- 2 cups stir-fry frozen vegetable medley with peppers and onions
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- 1 14.5-oz. can no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon salt-free taco seasoning
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced
- ¼ cup sliced scallions (green onions)
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile, thinly sliced (optional)
- Tofu Sour Cream (optional)
- Lime wedges
- For sopes, preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Cut polenta into 12 slices. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook stir-fry blend and corn over medium 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add beans, tomatoes, and taco seasoning. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and black pepper.
- To serve, spoon beans and vegetables over sopes. Top with avocado, scallions, jalapeño slices, and Tofu Sour Cream, if using. Serve with lime wedges.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.