- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 brownies
- print/save recipe
Moist, rich, and seriously fudgy, this no-fuss recipe for vegan brownies delivers big chocolate flavor. Unsweetened applesauce, almond butter, and ground flaxseed add chewy tenderness.
From Forks Meal Planner
- ⅔ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 3 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, extending paper over edges.
- In a small bowl combine the maple syrup, applesauce, almond butter, flaxseed, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, walnuts, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture, and stir just until combined. Spread batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until firm. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using edges of parchment paper, lift uncut brownies out of pan. Cut into 12 brownies.