The bun-dripping, finger-licking goodness of a Sloppy Joe sandwich is hard to resist. These easy vegan Sloppy Joes are made with wheat berries and a mild, kid-friendly sauce. For a spicier meal, add a few drops of hot sauce or a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes before serving. Feel free to make extra date paste, which will keep at least a week in the fridge and up to three months in the freezer. It can be used to sweeten baked goods as well.
By Del Sroufe,
- ⅓ cup pitted dates
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato purée
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire or tamari sauce
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 whole-grain hamburger buns, split
- Combine the dates and ⅓ cup water in a small saucepan, and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving the cooking water. Place the dates in a blender, and purée until smooth and creamy, adding cooking water, as needed.
- Combine the onion, celery, and bell pepper in a large skillet, and cook over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add the garlic; cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Stir in the wheat berries, tomato purée, date paste, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 10 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in buns.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.