This is my family’s all time favorite chili! Red lentils cook very quickly and are not only pretty but creamy and delicious. We love to serve this over a baked Yukon Gold potato.
1. Blend the dates in one cup of the water until smooth.
2. Place all remaining ingredients in an electric pressure cooker and cook on high for 10 minutes. Alternatively, place all ingredients in a slow cooker (with 6 cups water) and cook on low for 8 hours.
3. Sprinkle with chopped scallions and serve with baked tortilla chips or over a baked potato.
*I like to use the food processor so it’s almost a puree.
Photo by Healthy Girl’s Kitchen
Find this vegan chili recipe and other comfort food ideas and 30-minute meals in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 2 ounces dates (approximately 9 Deglet Noor)
- 1 pound red lentils
- 7 cups water, divided
- 2 14.5-ounce cans salt-free diced tomatoes (fire roasted preferred)
- 1 6-ounce can salt-free tomato paste
- 10 ounces chopped onion (approximately one large)
- 1 pound red bell pepper, (approximately 2 large), finely chopped*
- 8 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons dried parsley
- 1½ tablespoons dried oregano
- 1½ tablespoons salt-free chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (different than regular paprika)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- scallions (for topping at the end)
- Faux Parmesan (for topping at the end)
Become a great plant-based cook. The FOK Online Cooking Course teaches you how to make delicious meals anytime. Features top chef instructors, delicious recipes, and more!
Join the cooking course now.