You can make this creamy, delicious (and very authentic-tasting) Caesar dressing as is, or add nutritional yeast for a cheesy twist. You can also reduce the milk and use it as a dip or sandwich spread.
1. Combine the cashews, 1 tablespoon of the nutritional yeast (if using), the chia, salt, kelp granules, capers, garlic, pepper, milk, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a blender, and purée until very smooth. Add more nutritional yeast for a cheesier flavor if you like, and add extra salt, pepper and/or garlic if desired.
2. Serve tossed into romaine lettuce, along with your choice of croutons, if desired.
3. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. This oil-free dressing will thicken after refrigeration. You can thin it by stirring in 2 to 3 teaspoons of plant milk or water, if desired.
Kelp: If you have trouble finding kelp granules, the dressing is still delicious without them!
Milk: I prefer unsweetened, unflavored almond milk or soy milk in this recipe, but you can choose another plant milk if you prefer.
Photo by Nicole Axworthy
Find this vegan Caesar dressing recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- ⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked for 3-4 hours in advance and then drained
- 1−2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole chia seeds
- scant ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon kelp granules (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon capers
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓−½ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk (plus extra to thin)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons pure maple syrup
Become a great plant-based cook. The FOK Online Cooking Course teaches you how to make delicious meals anytime. Features top chef instructors, delicious recipes, and more!