This simple, vegan curry recipe is packed with comforting potatoes, cauliflower, and peas, and the sauce comes together easily in your blender. Serve over brown rice garnished with fresh cilantro.
Photo by Jackie Sobon
1. Place cauliflower in a steamer basket in a large saucepan or deep skillet. Add water to to just below basket. Bring to boiling. Cover pan and steam 5 minutes or until cauliflower is crisp-tender. Transfer cauliflower to a bowl.
2. Place potato pieces in steamer basket, cover pan, and steam 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add to cauliflower in bowl; drain water from pan.
3. For sauce, in a blender combine onion wedges, tomato paste, curry powder, ginger, cumin seeds, and garlic. Add 1 cup of water. Cover and blend until smooth. Transfer sauce to a skillet, and stir in 1 more cup of water. Bring sauce to boiling; reduce heat to medium-high, and cook 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 10 minutes longer or until sauce darkens in color.
4. Add steamed cauliflower and potatoes, peas, cashews, lime juice, and cayenne pepper to sauce. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until sauce is absorbed by the vegetables, stirring occasionally and adding additional water if needed to reach desired consistency. Season with salt.
5. Serve vegetable mixture over rice and sprinkle with cilantro.