The mild anise-like flavor of fennel is well balanced by the citrus in this hearty salad.
Rinse the rice under cold water and drain. Add it to a pot with 3 cups of cold water. Bring it to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
While the rice cooks, combine the chickpeas, fennel, orange zest and segments, white wine vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley in a large bowl and mix well. When the rice is finished, add the rice to the bowl and mix well.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1½ cups brown basmati rice
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, or one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
- 1 orange, zested, peeled, and segmented (zest and segments reserved)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
Get delicious new recipes every week sent right to your phone! Every recipe includes easy-to-follow instructions and the ability to add ingredients to your shopping list.
Download the app now.