Most commercial Worcestershire sauces contain anchovies, although there are a few vegetarian brands on the market. While nothing beats the ease of bottled sauce, this DIY recipe is allergen-free and very inexpensive to make. Worcestershire sauce is traditionally used as a condiment for meat, and consequently is a great marinade for veggie burgers and acts as a flavoring agent in many meat substitute recipes.
Whisk all ingredients together with ¼ cup of water until well combined.
Add salt if desired.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Soy sauce may be substituted for the tamari.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard (any)
- ¼ teaspoon granulated onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- light dash of cayenne pepper or chili powder
- light dash of allspice or ground cloves
- salt (optional)