When organic canned pumpkin is plentiful, I like to make pumpkin spice oatmeal in the morning. One day I was in a hurry and didn’t have time to eat it and I wondered how it would taste baked into a muffin. The result was pure pumpkin perfection!!! These little beauties are moist and delicious, not too sweet and reminiscent of the cranberry orange bread my Mom used to make.
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
In a food processor fitted with the “S” blade, process bananas and OJ until smooth.
Add pumpkin, date paste, extract, zest, flax seeds and spice and continue processing until smooth and creamy.
Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the oats and dried cranberries.
Spoon an equal amount of batter into a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners or silicone baking cups. You need to fill each muffin liner with about ½ cup of batter as these do not rise. A retractable ice cream scoop works well.
In a separate bowl, mix the nuts and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly into each of the 12 muffin liners. A cheese grater or nut grinder works well for grinding the nuts.
Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Photo by Sylvia Vale
Find this brunch recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 2 large, very ripe bananas
- ½ cup orange juice plus zest of one orange
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup Date Paste
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tablespoon alcohol-free Vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries, unsweetened or fruit juice sweetened
- 3 cups gluten free oats
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon