Stroganoff originated in Russia as a beef dish served in a rich sour cream sauce. And although there are many versions of the original recipe, this plant-based one is made with rich porcini mushrooms and lots of fresh herbs.
This recipe is from Forks Over Knives – The Cookbook.
Place the shallots in a large skillet and sauté over a medium heat for 8 minutes.
Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep them from sticking.
Add the garlic and thyme, and cook for another minute.
Stir in the salt and pepper, rosemary, and the portobello mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the porcini mushrooms, and their soaking liquid, and the wine.
Stir, and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
When the stroganoff is finished cooking, stir in the sour cream.
Add the cooked noodles and toss well.
Serve garnished with the parsley.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 2 large shallots, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, stemmed and cut into large pieces
- 1 ounce porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup boiling water for 30 minutes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pound whole-grain fettuccine, cooked according to package directions, drained, and kept warm
- 1 cup Tofu Sour Cream
- Chopped parsley
Get delicious new recipes every week sent right to your phone! Every recipe includes easy-to-follow instructions and the ability to add ingredients to your shopping list.
Download the app now.