This dish is much like ratatouille in appearance, but using chickpeas and an original spice combination. The flavors are complex and the preparation minimal!
From Vive le Vegan!
Preheat oven to 400° F.
In a large, deep casserole dish, combine all ingredients except bay leaves. Stir through until well combined, then embed bay leaves in the mixture.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Stir through, cover, and bake for another 35-45 minutes, until onions are tender and translucent (stir through once more during baking). Remove bay leaves and serve over quinoa or brown rice. Makes 4-5 servings.
Use regular diced tomatoes, or Italian flavored or fire-roasted for a twist.
Try making burritos with leftovers. Spoon the mixture onto whole-grain tortillas, roll up and place in a baking dish, then bake until golden.
This makes a large batch, but portions can be refrigerated or frozen.
- 3½ - 4 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 ¼ cups red onion, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 medium-large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can (796-ml) diced tomatoes (see note)
- ½ cup red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 dried bay leaves
Get delicious new recipes every week sent right to your phone! Every recipe includes easy-to-follow instructions and the ability to add ingredients to your shopping list.
Download the app now.
Become a great plant-based cook. The FOK Online Cooking Course teaches you how to make delicious meals anytime. Features top chef instructors. delicious recipes and more!
Join the cooking course now.
Get our easy-to-follow, meal-by-meal makeover book. The Forks Over Knives Plan shows you exactly how put the life-saving, plant-based diet into practice.
Get the book now.