In the middle of making my classic cornbread recipe I realized I was out of applesauce, so I subbed pumpkin. I figured I’d add sage and anise while I was at it and the result was extra-delicious. Cornbread with a little fall flavoring!
Preheat over to 400º F. Use a nonstick 9 inch bread pan, 8 inch square baking pan or shallow glass pie dish and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt together until well combined.
Add sage, plant-based milk, pumpkin puree, liquid sweetener, plus optional sugar if using and anise if using, and stir until combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean and the bread is firm to the touch.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- ¼ cup canned pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- ¼ cup agave nectar or pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar (optional)
- pinch of ground anise (optional)