A creamy, lightly smoky hummus with the brilliant flavor and color of pumpkin!
This dip recipe is gluten-free and soy-free.
In a food processor add all ingredients except pumpkin seeds. Puree until very smooth. Taste, and if you’d like to add additional garlic or spices, add a little. Then, add most of the pumpkin seeds (reserving a couple of tbsp), and pulse through. Transfer mixture to a serving dish, and top with remaining pumpkin seeds. Serve with whole-grain pita breads, tortilla chips, warm whole-grain bread, etc.
Beans Note: The combination of chickpeas and white beans makes this hummus a little creamier than using just chickpeas alone.
Pumpkin Seeds Note: When I toast nuts and seeds, I do so in larger batches so that I have them ready to use another time. So, consider toasting about a cup or more. To toast pumpkin seeds, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (I use my toaster oven and a small baking tray). Bake at 400ºF for several minutes until they turn a golden color and you can smell a nutty aroma. This won’t take long, maybe about 5-7 minutes, possibly longer depending on your oven. Just be sure to watch them after about 6-7 minutes, as they can burn quickly.
Find this recipe and more snacking ideas in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can white beans (cannellini or other), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pure pumpkin (I use farmer’s market brand)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 medium-large clove garlic (adjust to taste, use smaller clove for kid-friendly)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon (rounded) allspice
- ¼ teaspoon (lightly rounded) smoked paprika (if you don’t have smoked paprika, use another ¼ teaspoon cumin - then go out and get yourself some smoked paprika!!)
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds (see note for toasting; reserve about 2-3 tablespoons for garnish)
Become a great plant-based cook. The FOK Online Cooking Course teaches you how to make delicious meals anytime. Features top chef instructors, delicious recipes, and more!
Join the cooking course now.