Fabulous Un-fried Falafel Burgers
Makes 8 burgers
• 2-3 large garlic cloves
• Packed ½ cup fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley (just chop off the bottom part of the stems)
• Packed ½ cup fresh cilantro (no need to remove the tender stems)
• ½ cup scallions, rough chopped
• 2 14½ ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained-reserving at least 2 tablespoons of the liquid
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 2½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon salt (or not)
• ¼ teaspoon pepper
• ¼-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• Tahini Sauce (recipe follows)
Place garlic, parsley, cilantro and scallions in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture is finely chopped.
Add all other ingredients and process, scraping down sides as necessary, until all ingredients are blended, but do not over process into a paste. You want the mixture to have a bit of its texture left, but be able to stick together easily. If mixture is too dry, add the reserved liquid from the chickpeas, one tablespoon at a time, pulsing to incorporate the liquid.
Transfer the mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Form into patties and reserve on a plate. Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes until pan is hot. Place patties in pan and let cook for 5 minutes. Flip patties and let them cook for another five minutes. Remove from pan. Patties should be nicely browned and crisp on each side but not burned.
Serve topped with a little Tahini Sauce (see recipe below), atop a green salad, alongside a chopped salad (like Taboulleh), or fixed up as a burger on a bun with lettuce, tomato, pickle slices and Tahini Sauce.
Note: Veggie burgers can be served immediately or refrigerated for up to a week. Simply reheat them in a pan, a toaster or a microwave before serving.
• ¼ cup tahini
• 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
• 2 garlic cloves, pressed
• 2 tablespoons water
• Dash of salt (optional)
Place all ingredients into a bowl and stir.