Here, the classic beans and rice combination gets a kick with ancho chile powder and cumin. The No-Cheese Sauce adds a creamy texture, and the health benefits are bumped up with zucchini, black beans, and corn.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the onion and bell pepper in a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the onion starts to brown. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 4 minutes. Add the cumin and chile powder and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Add the cooked rice, zucchini, black beans, corn, and No-Cheese Sauce, and mix well.
3. Spoon the mixture into an 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve garnished with the cilantro.
Photo by Keepin’ it Kind
Find this Mexican recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet and ground
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked black beans, or 1 (15-ounce) can, drained and rinsed
- 3 ears corn, kernels removed (about 2 cups)
- One recipe No-Cheese Sauce Recipe
- Chopped cilantro
Become a great plant-based cook. The FOK Online Cooking Course teaches you how to make delicious meals anytime. Features top chef instructors, delicious recipes, and more! Join the cooking course now.