Barley is not the usual in pilafs, but it works well when you want a change from rice. Tarragon has a flavor similar to fennel but milder. Serve this on a bed of spinach for a filling meal.
Place the onion in a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 6 minutes.
Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the onions from sticking to the pan.
Add the garlic and cook 3 minutes more.
Add the vegetable stock and barley and bring the pot to a boil over high heat.
Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
Add the sweet potato and cook for 15 minutes longer, or until the potatoes and barley are tender.
Stir in the tarragon and lemon zest and juice, and season with salt and pepper.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 ½ cups Vegetable Stock Recipe or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups pearled barley
- 1 large sweet potato (about 3⁄4 pound), peeled and diced small
- ¼ cup tarragon, minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Become a great plant-based cook. The FOK Online Cooking Course teaches you how to make delicious meals anytime. Features top chef instructors, delicious recipes, and more! Join the cooking course now.