- 3 ⅓ cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ cups dried brown lentils
- 1 15-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
This is a quick and easy meal that also reheats well for lunch the next day or two. Serve this stuffed into a whole-grain bun and eat with your hands, or ladle it over the buns (open-face style) and eat with a fork. I usually serve steamed kale with this dish and fresh corn, when in season.
Place 1⁄3 cup of the water or stock in a large pot.
Add the onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until onions soften slightly, about 5 minutes.
Add the chili powder and mix in well. Add the remaining liquid, lentils, tomatoes, and the rest of the seasonings. Mix well, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for one hour, stirring occasionally.
Serve on whole-wheat buns, or fresh baked bread, with the trimmings of your choice.
Photo by Eco-Vegan Gal
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.