- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup long grain rice, toasted*
- Salt to taste
Since this is such a thick soup, I like to have this rolled up in a tortilla for leftovers the next day. This recipe also lends itself well to using different ingredients that you have on hand. Switch up the beans, use some roasted corn or add some kale. If you don’t want it to be so thick, add some additional stock or water. Enjoy!
To toast the rice, put the uncooked rice in a preheated pan on medium-high heat. Stir constantly until rice is light to dark brown in color, about 5 minutes.
• Chopped tomato
• Sliced scallions
• Baked tortilla chips
In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon low-sodium vegetable stock or water over medium-high heat for 7 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
Season to taste.
Serve with toppings of your choice, or the ones listed above.
* Put the uncooked rice in a non-stick pan pre-heated to medium-high heat and stir constantly for about 5 minutes, or until rice is lightly browned.