Since this is such a thick soup, I like to have this rolled up in a tortilla for leftovers the next day. This recipe also lends itself well to using different ingredients that you have on hand. Switch up the beans, use some roasted corn, or add some kale. If you don’t want it to be so thick, add some additional stock or water. Enjoy!
– Chopped tomato
– Sliced scallions
– Baked tortilla chips
1. In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon low-sodium vegetable stock or water over medium-high heat for 7 minutes.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
3. Season to taste.
4. Serve with toppings of your choice, or the ones listed above.
To toast the rice, put the uncooked grain in a nonstick pan preheated to medium-high and stir constantly for about 5 minutes, or until it is lightly browned.
Find this Mexican recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup long–grain brown rice, toasted (see note)
- Salt to taste
Become a great plant-based cook. The FOK Online Cooking Course teaches you how to make delicious meals anytime. Features top chef instructors, delicious recipes, and more!
Join the cooking course now.