- 1 medium onion, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, sliced crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- ½ bulb fennel, cut into 1-by-¼-inch pieces (about 1½ cups)
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (35 ounces) whole tomatoes, lightly crushed
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1½ bunches Swiss chard leaves, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups cooked elbow or fusilli pasta (eggless)
- Nutritional yeast or finely ground pumpkin seeds for garnish
Nothing says comfort food like a hearty bowl of soup. Curling up on the couch with a great book or movie and a steaming bowl of this twist on minestrone is heaven on any night of the week. Full of healthy veggies and lots of flavor, this soup eats like a meal!
Heat enough water that fills the bottom of the pan in an 8-quart stockpot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, fennel, potatoes, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes and their juices, stock, and cannellini beans; season with 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, add in the zucchini and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in vinegar and Swiss chard; season with salt and pepper. Divide pasta evenly between 6 to 8 bowls. Ladle over soup and garnish with nutritional yeast or ground pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Photo by Eco-Vegan Gal
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
Don't want to cook? Try our Forks Fresh Meals delivery service and receive 5, 10, or 15 healthy and delightful meals at your doorstep every week.
Carolyn Scott-Hamilton is the creator, executive producer, and host of The Healthy Voyager website. A holistic nutritionist, plant-based vegan chef, cookbook author, and T.V. spokesperson, Carolyn helps people live well, one veggie at a time! Visit HealthyVoyager.com for updates from Carolyn.View all contributions by Carolyn Scott-Hamilton