Nothing says comfort food like a hearty bowl of soup. Curling up on the couch with a great book or movie and a steaming bowl of this twist on minestrone is heaven on any night of the week. Full of healthy veggies and lots of flavor, this soup eats like a meal!
Heat enough water that fills the bottom of the pan in an 8-quart stockpot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, fennel, potatoes, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes and their juices, stock, and cannellini beans; season with 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, add in the zucchini and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in vinegar and Swiss chard; season with salt and pepper. Divide pasta evenly between 6 to 8 bowls. Ladle over soup and garnish with nutritional yeast or ground pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Photo by Eco-Vegan Gal
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1 medium onion, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, sliced crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- ½ bulb fennel, cut into 1-by-¼-inch pieces (about 1½ cups)
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (35 ounces) whole tomatoes, lightly crushed
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1½ bunches Swiss chard leaves, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups cooked elbow or fusilli pasta (eggless)
- Nutritional yeast or finely ground pumpkin seeds for garnish
Forks Over Knives Family is here! A complete guide to a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle for your entire family, with more than 125 delicious kid-friendly recipes. Get the book now.