These tiny stuffed potatoes are absolutely beautiful, and, oh so delicious as hors d’oeuvres or the center part of a meal. Be sure the potatoes are tiny. And remember to hold back! Don’t eat them all before your guests arrive!
For the hummus:
In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, pepper to taste, salt (if using), and 2 tablespoons water, and process until uniformly smooth.
In a small bowl, stir together the hummus, green onions, Dijon mustard, lemon zest, additional lemon juice, and turmeric. Dollop or spread on immediately or store in an airtight container until ready to use.
For the devils:
Set a steamer insert in a saucepan and add about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat; then place the potatoes in the steamer basket and steam for about 20 minutes. Plunge them into cold water in a big bowl or just run cold water over them.
Slice each potato in half. With the small end of a melon-baller or a small spoon, scoop out a hole in the center. (Save the little scooped-out potato balls to put into a salad or just pop them into your mouth!)
Fill each hole with hummus. Sprinkle with smoked paprika. It is easiest to take a tiny bit between your fingers and sprinkle just enough for the color to show. Garnish with green onions or, for a really fun look, use a tiny baby kale leaf as a “sail” in each little potato “boat.”
Photo by Green Evi.
For the hummus:
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons spicy brown mustard, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional; we do not use it)
- 1 cup chopped green onions (4 to 5)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, or to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ to 2 additional tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
For the Devils
- 12 small red potatoes (roughly the size of large walnuts or small clementines)
- Pinch of smoked paprika, for garnish
- 1 green onion, finely sliced, for garnish
- Baby kale leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Green Onion Hummus
Preparing a perfect salad is now as easy as a toss and a pour. Our salad dressings have no added oils and are crafted especially for your whole-food, plant-based diet.